Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Meet Rochelle!

Rochelle Washington

ICA: Hello Rochelle!
Rochelle: Hello.


ICA: Tell me a little about yourself.

Rochelle: I am 29 years old and was born in St. Joseph , Michigan. After I graduated from high school, I moved by myself down to Fort Worth, Texas. I had planned on starting Cosmetology school, but I ended up finding work as a dance choreographer for a drill team. I was a dancer in high school so it was something I wanted to do. Plus, at the time, I just didn't feel very motivated to go back to school.  I really enjoyed being on my own and living in Texas. In 2013, I moved to Grand Rapids to help my Mom with Grandma. I wasn't working so I decided it was the perfect time to start cosmetology school. Last summer in 2014, I began cosmetology school at ICA.

ICA: Why Cosmetology?

Rochelle: I have been doing hair since I was a little girl. My mom did hair, so my sister and I would watch my Mom work on other people.  I became really comfortable with hair so I started working on real people's hair doing braids or giving haircuts for kids returning back to school. I felt like I was good at it. Honestly, I wanted to be a dancer as my career. I took hip hop and belly dancing classes in high school and liked it a lot. But, I had a lot more experience with hair and knew Cosmetology would be a good career route. 


ICA: So, what do you want to do with your license once you get it?

Rochelle: I am going to get my license right away, most definitely. Then, I would like to move back down to Texas and work in someone's shop for 3-4 years to gain experience. At the same time, I would like to get my associates degree in Business. Eventually,  I would like to own my own shop. I am expected to graduate in 2016. I am definitely looking forward to it.

ICA: So, why do Cosmetology school now?

Rochelle: It was the perfect opportunity. I moved back to Michigan to help my Mom out, I wasn't working, so it was a great time to get my license in Cosmetology.

ICA: You have a good support system?

Rochelle: Yes, I do. My mom is my biggest supporter.

ICA: What is your favorite and least favorite part of Cosmetology school?

Rochelle: My favorite part is that it's hands-on. My least favorite part of it is the book-work! I will do it if I need to, but I always prefer to do hands-on over textbooks. I learn better that way.

ICA: What is the school/life balance like?

Rochelle: I have 3 girls, ages 8,9, & 10. I live on my own with my daughters. During the summer, my Mother watches them while I am at school. Now that it's fall, they go to school during the day and I am home before they get home. It works out well. Balance is definitely key.

ICA: What is some advice you have for future cosmetology students?

Rochelle: Stay in school. Graduate. Don't take time off afterwards.  You start to slack off if you wait. Get a job. Get more education. Don't wait to get your license. Get it overwith. Cosmetology school is worth it. I would definitely recommend it to other people. I am doing this for not only myself. I am doing it for my daughters.




Feel free to call 616.248.3335 to request Rochelle for an appointment! :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment