Monday, September 14, 2015

Meet Dahja!


Dahja Nevills


ICA: Hello Dahja!
Dahja: Hello.


ICA: Tell me a little about yourself.

Dahja: I am 18 years old and will be 19 years old next month. I was born and raised in Grand Rapids with my Mom and 4 sisters. In 2014, I graduated from high school. I wanted to go to cosmetology school but my Mom told me to attend college instead. So, I enrolled at Grand Rapids Community College and pursued Dental Hygiene. Shortly after I started, my Mom moved to Tennessee. Her moving away really affected me. I started to lose focus and motivation. I stopped going to school for awhile.  I eventually went back to try it again,but I just wasn't ready.  I enjoyed it but had no real desire to be there. In April 2015, I enrolled in the cosmetology program at ICA. I have been here ever since and I really like it.

ICA: Why Cosmetology?

Dahja: When I was 14 years old, I started braiding. I would practice braiding all the time; on friends and family. I started to get really good at it. Then, I started to learn how to do sew-ins. Cosmetology was something I wanted to go into. My Mom preferred me to go college, but I eventually made the decision to go to cosmetology school anyway.


ICA: So, what do you want to do with your license once you get it?

Dahja: I want to get my license right away and then work at a salon. I love doing haircuts. I love working with scissors. I am a little scissor happy!  I want to eventually own my own business. I have other family members who also do hair, but they aren't licensed yet. But, I always thought it would be a great idea to all go into business together some day.

ICA: So, why do Cosmetology school now?

Dahja: With my Mom leaving last year, I lost a lot of focus and motivation, so it took me a little bit of time to get back on my feet and feel motivated again to learn. But, I am here now, and happy I did it.

ICA: You have a good support system?

Dahja: Yup, my Mom is supportive. I talk to her on the phone all the time. My sisters are also very supportive of me.

ICA: What is your favorite and least favorite part of Cosmetology school?

Dahja: My favorite part of school is working with clients. I enjoy communicating with them and giving them the haircut they want. I like to see them happy. My least favorite part is that not everyone follows directions which can cause unnecessary problems. We all need to follow directions and not get upset when a teacher tells us to do something. The whole point is to come to school and learn.  There is no reason not to listen. We are here for an education.

ICA: What is the school/life balance like?

Dahja:I go to school part time and I work part time. It gets to be a little overwhelming sometimes, especially because I help out at home and help take care of my niece and nephew. I get tired a lot and sometimes I slack at school.  But, I keep at it.

ICA: What is some advice you have for future cosmetology students?

Dahja: If you want to come to cosmetology school, make sure it's your passion.  If it isn't your passion, you're going to have a hard time finishing. You're also here to learn. So, listen to the advice and directions from all the teachers. Not everyone is perfect, it's okay to mess up. You'll learn, you'll get there. Don't ever give up.




Feel free to call 616.248.3335 to request Dahja for an appointment! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment