Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Meet Jenia Greer!


Jenia Greer


ICA: Hello Jenia!
Jenia: Hello.


ICA: Tell me a little about yourself.

Jenia: I am 29 years old and was born and raised in Chicago. I had a pretty easy life growing up. I was the oldest of 4 kids. I lived with my Mom and Dad and my siblings. We were a close knit family. My Mom was a cosmetologist and my God-mom always did nails in the basement. So, this is where I was first introduced to nails and the cosmetology world. I'll never forget my first manicure. I was in Kindergarten. I loved getting that manicure, that memory is stuck in my brain forever. When I was a junior in high school I had my first son. I stayed in school and graduated top of the class. When I was 21 years old, my second son was born. I was done with high school and working in childcare. Around 2006, My mom and dad had divorced, so my Mom moved to Grand Rapids. In September 2014, I moved my boys and I to Grand Rapids. Just this past summer, I enrolled at ICA's Nail Technician program.
 
ICA: Why Nail Technician?

Jenia: I wanted a new trade. I was doing childcare, but not growing in the field. I knew nails was fun, easy, profitable, and popular. I knew I had to find something that would take care of myself as well as my 2 boys.

ICA: So, what do you want to do with your license once you get it?


Jenia: I plan on marketing myself to shops. I plan on getting an acrylic system that is odorless, which will allow me to work anywhere. I will be more competitive and hopefully have more options of places to work.

ICA: So, why do the Nail Technician program now?

Jenia: I wanted something different. I wasn't moving forward working in childcare, so it was a good time to try something different.

ICA: Do you have a good support system?

Jenia: Yeah, my 2 brothers, my sister, and my boys are all really supportive. My boys are always asking me what I did at school.

ICA: What is your favorite and least favorite part of the Nail Technician program?

Jenia: My favorite part is creating nail art. I like coming up with different ideas for nails. My least favorite part is the reading and textbook work.  I just find it time consuming and time goes a lot slower. When I am working with my hands doing nails, the time just flies.

ICA: What is the school/life balance like?

Jenia: I go to school in the morning and then some days, I head to work afterwards. My kids take the bus home so I meet them there. I give them dinner, help them with homework, and spend time with them before bed. Then, I get up and do it all over again.

ICA: What is some advice you have for future nail tech students?

Jenia: You should have a passion for nails. If you follow this for money, it probably won't work. It's time consuming and you have to be dedicated to it. It's a long learning process, but it's worth it.



Feel free to call 616.248.3335 to request Jenia for an appointment! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment