Monday, August 31, 2015

Meet Ajzsa!

Ajzsa Moore


ICA: Hello Ajzsa!
Ajzsa: Well, hello!

ICA: Tell me a little about yourself.

Ajzsa: Well,  I am 26 years old and originally from Detroit, Michigan. I moved to Grand Rapids to go to Grand Valley State University to study political science in 2009. But, at that point, I was also trying to find myself and figure out what I liked and did not like to do. I ended up switching my major to Paralegal. But, I never forgot what my Dad told me. He said, "If you're going to study hard for something, make sure you can envision yourself being your own boss, running your own business, and not always relying on employers and companies for work." So, I thought hard and long about my skills and talents. This is when I came up with Cosmetology. Something I loved to do and it would allow me to have my own business or get involved in corporate jobs in the beauty industry. Currently, I am a senior student here and have about 6 months left!

ICA: Why Cosmetology?

Ajzsa: My Mom has been a hairstylist for 15 years. So, I grew up and around hair and I had a natural ability to cut hair, style, curl, and so on. I knew I had this natural ability but never thought about pursuing it as a career. Since I enjoy hair and I have a natural gift for it, I decided to take the jump and enter cosmetology school. October 2014, I enrolled into ICA's cosmetology program.

ICA: So, what do you want to do with your license once you get it?

Ajzsa: I am going to take my state board exams right away, no doubt about it.  I will probably start out by working for someone else. My ultimate goal is to own my own salon.  I know I need a lot more experience but I want to learn it all. I have an entrepreneurial spirit and feel I have a lot of other good qualities that will take me far in this industry. I have considered corporate work, sales, or possibly managing a salon business.

ICA: So, why do Cosmetology school now?

Ajzsa: I finally know what I want to do with my career route. So I did not wait. I want a career. I really want to go into business for myself.

ICA: You have a good support system?

Ajzsa: Oh yes, my Mom, Dad, and my significant other. They are my main support system. I also want to start networking with professionals in the beauty and personal care industry. I really enjoy the business side of Cosmetology and networking would be a great step in that direction.

ICA: What is your favorite and least favorite part of Cosmetology school?

Ajzsa:  My favorite part is learning new things. I love the challenge.  I always want to try out new things.  My least favorite part is the repetition! I know it's needed, but some days, I just don't feel like practicing so much. I kind of lose motivation. Learning new things is very exciting for me.

ICA: What is the school/life balance like?

Ajzsa: Well, I have 2 kids; my son is 3 years old and my daughter is 2 years old. My mom lives in a different city, but she is helping me out by having my children live with her until I finish school and get my license. This way, I am able to work and go to school and stay focused on finishing. I see my kids as much I can. I still miss them very much and I know they miss being home.  I have to constantly remind myself that it is a temporary situation and I am doing this for not only myself, but for them. But, it is still very difficult to be away from them.

ICA: What is some advice you have for future cosmetology students?

Ajzsa: You need to stay really committed to it. I know personal life can get in the way and things come into your life unexpectedly. But, you need to stay committed regardless of what else is going on. Lots of people will put school on the back burner, end up dropping, or go on a 2 week leave and never return. Their excuses/reasons are understandable, but school is still a priority. I say, don't put it on the back-burner. Stick through and finish it. It's all about commitment.


Feel free to call 616.248.3335 to request Ajzsa for an appointment! :)   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment