Monday, August 10, 2015

A Day in the Life of a Cosmetologist: 5 Professionals Surveyed

Original Post: Intellitec College


Cosmetologist Careers
Cosmetologist Careers

We surveyed five cosmetology certification program instructors at IntelliTec College of Pueblo. We asked them their likes and dislikes about their careers as professional cosmetologists before they became instructors. Read on to get a feel for what a normal day is like for a professional beautician.

What are the best aspects of having a cosmetologist career?

  • The flexibility to create the career you want with the specialty you want in a large and diverse field. You can go anywhere in this industry!
  • Having the ability to make people feel great about themselves, give them a boost of confidence and bring out their inner beauty.
  • Being able to make people beautiful!
  • Customer Service, knowledge, marketing yourself and best of all, making someone’s day.

What are the least desirable aspects of having a career in cosmetology?

  • Creating your own clientele will always be the hardest and least predictable aspect. Sometimes you just have to sit and wait, work and wait, grow and wait.
  • Not being able to satisfy a client for whatever reason, and the fear of losing them.
  • Working hard long hours.
  • No shows, slow seasons.
  • Self employment taxes.

What is a typical day like as a working cosmetologist?

  • As a salon owner…I usually do not get a lunch. I usually schedule a guest while another one is processing. I work hard and educate each and every guest about the products I am using on them. I average 22% retail to service dollars. Before the service is over, I have rescheduled their next appt, ensuring 6 weeks later I will have appointments. I clean up and go home. I am responsible to make sure my guest experience equals the amount they are paying.
  • Fast-paced. It isn’t work, it’s fun!
  • Hopefully busy, busy! Lots of clients to take care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment