Monday, August 24, 2015

Meet Da'Marco!

Da'marco Brown


Meet Da'marco! He is one of our current students following his dream to become a professional Cosmetologist. I spoke with Da'marco to find out a little bit more about him:




ICA: Hello Da'Marco.

Da'marco: Good Afternoon!







ICA: Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Da'marco: I am almost 19 years old and I'm originally from Chicago. I have been cutting hair since I was 9 years old. I would cut my own hair and family members. I loved to play with my Mom's and sister's hair. That's when I knew I was in love with hair and wanted to do it when I was older. As I got older, I had a desire to do something amazing and creative.




ICA: Why Cosmetology?

Da'marco: I wanted to use my creativity and make people feel good. So, after high school I enrolled at ICA. This was a dream come true for me. I feel very satisfied when cutting hair. I like to design so I wanted to incorporate that into my career.




ICA: Why not barber school?

Da'marco: I love being creative, you can do anything with hair: curls, waves,extensions, color, cut, and on and on. I love working with different types and textures of hair. I have always wanted to be a cosmetologist. Barber school limits the amount of creativity I can use.




ICA: So, what do you want to do with your license once you get it?

Da'marco: Well, when I'm done here, I am going to take my state board exams right away. Once I get that license, I want to get a business degree in design. That way I could own my own salon and design it in any way I want. I painted my room as a kid and I have a passion for design. To combine cosmetology and my love for design, would be an ideal career for me.




ICA: So, why do Cosmetology school now?

Da'marco: People get lazy after high school. My family really pushed me to keep going, to continue my education. I graduated from high school in 2014 and then wanted to either do college first, then my license, or get the license first. I have an obsession for hair and strong desire to do it, so with family support, I entered ICA.



ICA: You have a good suport system, then?

Da'marco: My family is really supportive. They really pushed me to keep going and not wait. I feel I am a better person because of my family.



ICA: What is your favorite and least favorite part of Cosmetology school?

Da'marco: I love working with my hands. I like to work with a lot of different people. Clients make me happy. If our salon is slow, I get kind of sad. Clients are really satisfying for me. My least favorite part is you do have to deal with a lot of different personalities, ya know, students and staff. And if people don't communicate with me or are not respectful, I get upset. I never hold a grudge, but I do not like the drama that can come with cosmetology school.




ICA: What is the school/life balance like?

Da'marco: Well, I do school mostly on the weekdays. I have one son and a wonderful girlfriend. I like to clock out immediately when my time is done and go straight home to my family. It's all about setting boundaries.




ICA: What is some advice you have for future cosmetology students?

Da'marco: Make sure it's what you want to do! You will have your bad days and your good days. What you do now will define your future. Be the person you are meant to be, not what others want you to be. Be the person God wants you to be.

Feel free to call 616.248.3335 to request Da'marco for an appointment! :) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment